Farewell to the Interurban
- Media Type
- Item Type
- An image of passengers aboard the final run of the Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto interurban railway.
Cars nos. 620 and 623 of the Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Railway made a special farewell trip between St. Catharines and Port Colborne before abandoning the interurban line.
From the Buffalo Courier-Express “Farewell to the Interurban.” April 26, 1959.
- Slide File Number: 06.122-D-3
The Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Railway was incorporated on Aug. 11, 1899 and undertook the improvement and electrification of the existing railway. Interurban service connected St. Catharines with Niagara Falls in 1900, Port Dalhousie in 1901, Fonthill and Welland in 1907, Toronto, Hamilton and the Buffalo Railway in 1909, Port Colborne in 1911, and finally Niagara-on-the-Lake in 1913.
March 26, 1959 was the farewell interurban railway run. The final run was marked by cars nos. 620 and 623, carrying representatives of the 12 municipalities served by the interurban line and officials of the N. StC & T and its parent company the Canadian National Railway. The interurban was replaced by buses.
- Date of Publication
- 26 Apr 1959
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.16681 Longitude: -79.24958
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2