Farewell to the Interurban
- Media Type
- Item Type
- An image of a Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto interurban railway car crossing a bridge over the Welland Canal, Thorold. The white flags on the front of the car indicate that it is an extra, not a regular run.
Cars nos. 620 and 623 of the Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Railway made a special farewell trip between St. Catharines and Port Colborne before abandoning the interurban line.
From the Buffalo Courier-Express “Farewell to the Interurban.” April 26, 1959.
- Slide File Number: 06.122-A-4
The Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Railway was incorporated on Aug. 11, 1899 and undertook the improvement and electrification of the existing railway. Interurban service connected St. Catharines with Niagara Falls in 1900, Port Dalhousie in 1901, Fonthill and Welland in 1907, Toronto, Hamilton and the Buffalo Railway in 1909, Port Colborne in 1911, and finally Niagara-on-the-Lake in 1913.
March 26, 1959 was the farewell interurban railway run. The final run was marked by cars nos. 620 and 623, carrying representatives of the 12 municipalities served by the interurban line and officials of the N. StC & T and its parent company the Canadian National Railway. The interurban railway was replaced by buses.
- Farewell to the Interurban
- Date of Publication
- 26 Apr 1959
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.11682 Longitude: -79.19958
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2