The corner of Church Street and James Street.
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A photograph of the corner of Church and James St., St. Catharines, Ontario.
Showing a portion of City Hall Square with the Watson Monument in the corner, Carnegie Public Library and Knox Presbyterian Church, 1970.
- File number: 01/pt1/4-2.5
On the right (on Church Street) is old "Carnegie" Public Library c. 1903, now demolished.
The congregation of Knox Presbyterian first met in Grantham Academy in 1841 and their first church was built on Centre Street.The present building was built in 1859 on Church Street and enlarged in 1874. In 1875 the name of the church changed from Scotch Church to Knox Church.
In 1925 the church voted to remain part of the Presbyterian Church as opposed to joining the United Church. In 1956-57 the church added on building the Christian Educational Building.
The Watson Monument was erected in memory of Private Alexander Watson, 90th Winnipeg Battalion Rifles. He died in the North West Rebellion in 1885. The monument was erected in 1886 and stood in front of the old city hall until it was moved to its present location at the corner of Church and James Streets. The monument was restored in the 1970s; bronze plaques were installed when the original lettering was lost.
- Date of Publication
Width: 8.4 cm
Height: 8.7 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 7.9cm
Image Height: 8.1cm
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1598515057486 Longitude: -79.2469149301452
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2