Hedley-Shaw Mill Foundation & "Fill"
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A support for the Hedley-Shaw Flour Mill which originally stood next to the 1st Glenridge Bridge.
The lower left corner shows the edge of the underpass through the Glenridge "Fill."
- Slide File Number: 06.110-E-2
The foundations for the Hedley-Shaw Flour Mill were constructed c. 1840-1850's. The mill was destroyed by fire in 1915.
The Glen ridge (later Glenridge) Bridge crossed the valley of the 1st and 2nd Welland Canals and had an overall span of 740 feet supported by high arches. It opened for traffic in 1914 but by 1955 the bridge was showing severe structural issues and had to be demolished.
The bridge was replaced by the "Fill," an earthen embankment which enabled road access across the valley where the bridge had been. The Fill remained in use until a new Glendridge Bridge was built, opening for traffic in Dec. 1980.
- Date of Publication
- Mar 1974
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.16681 Longitude: -79.24958
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2