Glenridge Bridge Abutment
- Media Type
- Item Type
- An image of a cement abutment from the old Glenridge Bridge beside the Glenridge Fill.
- Slide File Number: 06.110-E-2
The Glen ridge (later Glenridge) Bridge crossed the valley of the 1st and 2nd Welland Canals and had an overall span of 740 feet supported by high arches. It opened for traffic in 1914 but by 1955 the bridge was showing severe structural issues and had to be demolished.
The bridge was replaced by the "Fill," an earthen embankment which enabled road access across the valley where the bridge had been. The Fill remained in use until a new Glendridge Bridge was built, opening for traffic in Dec. 1980.
- Date of Publication
- Mar 1974
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.16681 Longitude: -79.24958
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2