Glen Ridge Bridge
- Media Type
- Item Type
- An image of the Glenridge cement high level bridge spanning the old Welland Canal, St. Catharines, showing two of the highest cement hydro poles on the left. The back of St. Paul Street is visible in the distance.
- Slide File Number: 06.110-B-4
The Glen ridge (later Glenridge) Bridge crossed the valley of the 1st and 2nd Welland Canals and had an overall span of 740 feet supported by high arches. It opened for traffic in 1914 but by 1955 the bridge was showing severe structural issues and had to be demolished. A new Glendridge Bridge was built, opening for traffic in Dec. 1980.
The cement hydro poles were constructed c. 1902. At 150 feet, they were the tallest concrete structures in the world at that time. In 1971 the poles were deemed unsafe and demolished.
- Old Welland Canal, and Cement High Level Bridge, from Glen Ridge, St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada.
- Date of Original
- Date Unknown
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.16681 Longitude: -79.24958
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2