A stone commemorating and marking the site of the 1st Anglican Church in St. Catharines.
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A stone commemorating and marking the site of the 1st Anglican Church in St. Catharines. It is located in Memorial Park next to the statue of William Hamilton Merritt, St. Paul Street West, St. Catharines, Ontario. May 1974.
- Slide File Number: 05.81-B-4
This was the original site of St. George’s Anglican Church which was the first church of England erected in the community c. 1796. This building had been used as a hospital during the War of 1812 abut was destroyed by fire in 1836.
A new church was constructed at 83 Church Street between 1835-1840 on land purchased by William Hamilton Merritt. The church was expanded in 1865-66, 1874, and again in 1878 when two transepts, the chancel, and the sanctuary were added respectively. The parish hall was added in 1912, with the last addition in 1957, completing the church.
The church has 21 stained-glass windows and the pews date to 1933.
- Date of Publication
- May 1974
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1542138934393 Longitude: -79.2459781733114
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2