The Gravestone of Paul Shipman
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The gravestone of Paul Shipman, located inside St. George’s Anglican Church at 83 Church Street, St. Catharines, Ontario.
Paul Shipman died in 1825. He is the namesake of the original settlement in this area, which was known as Shipman's Corners.
- Slide File Number: 04.69-C-4
St. George's Church is St. Catharines' oldest church, dating back to 1796 with a church on Yates Street. This building had been used as a hospital during the War of 1812 and was later destroyed by fire.
A new church was constructed between 1835-1840 on land purchased by William Hamilton Merritt. The church was expanded in 1865-66, 1874, and again in 1878 when two transepts, the chancel, and the sanctuary were added respectively. The parish hall was added in 1912, with the last addition in 1957, completing the church.
The church has 21 stained-glass windows and the pews date to 1933.
- Date of Original
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1613273789215 Longitude: -79.2460218590747
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2