The Inscription Above the Door at St. George's Church
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A close up of the inscription and lantern above the door of St. George’s Anglican Church, 83 Church Street, Catharines, Ontario.
- Slide File Number: 04.69-C-3
St. George's Church is St. Catharines' oldest church, dating back to 1796 with a church on Yates Street. This building had been used as a hospital during the War of 1812 and was later destroyed by fire.
A new church was constructed between 1835-1840 on land purchased by William Hamilton Merritt. The church was expanded in 1865-66, 1874, and again in 1878 when two transepts, the chancel, and the sanctuary were added respectively. The parish hall was added in 1912, with the last addition in 1957, completing the church.
The church has 21 stained-glass windows and the pews date to 1933.
- Date of Original
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1613193723796 Longitude: -79.2460135330771
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2