Brock's Monument, Queenston Heights
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A postcard of Brock's Monument, Queenston Heights. c1915
- File Number: 15/pt2/33-1.1
The back of the postcard notes that General Winfield Scott led the attack at Queenston Heights. While Winfield Scott did participate in the battle as a Colonel, the commander of the army was Major General Stephen Van Rensselaer. As well, the Battle of Queenston Heights took place on October 13, 1812, not October 12, 1812.
Note the spelling of Queenston as Queenstown.
Brock's Monument is 185 feet high with 243 steps up to the top.
Major General Sir Issac Brock was killed at the Battle of Queenston Heights on October 13, 1812 along with one of his aide-de-camps Lieutenant-Colonel John MacDonell. Following the battle both were buried in the Northeast Bastion at Fort George.
Brock's Monument was initially built in the 1820s and his remains were moved from Fort George to the base of the monument along with those of Lieutenant-Colonel John Macdonell. After the monument was partially destroyed by an explosive attack, Brock and Macdonell's remains were temporarily relocated and a second larger monument was built. The current monument was opened in 1859 and is operated by the Friends of Fort George.
- Brock's Monument, Queenstown Heights, Ont.
- Date of Original
Width: 8.6 cm
Height: 13.6 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 8.6cm
Image Height: 13.6cm
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1601384717623 Longitude: -79.0527508736801
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2