Fort George, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A postcard with three views of Fort George, Niagara-on-the-Lake. c1994
Animators in period uniform portray everyday life in the British Military post of nearly two centuries ago, bringing the post into focus for visitors. Included in the photos are the Fife and Drum corps, a member of the Royal Artillery and two of the three blockhouses.
Photographs in cooperation with the Friends of Fort George. Postcard was sent with an invitation to attend the 1994 season "welcome" wine and cheese on the back.
Published by Dexter Colour Canada. Printed in Cornwall, Ontario.
- File Number: 15/pt2/20-1.2
Fort George was built in 1796 after the British left Fort Niagara in response to Jay's Treaty of 1794. The treaty stated the British had to leave fortifications on American soil. The Fort was destroyed in a bombardment on May 25, 1813 by the Americans during the War of 1812, only the Powder Magazine remained. It was later abandoned by the British when they built Fort Mississauga closer to the mouth of the Niagara River. The Fort was rebuilt in the late 1930s as a make work project during the Great Depression. The Fort is now opened to visitors and maintains the image of a Fort during the early 1800s.
- Dexter Colour Canada
- Place of Publication
- Cornwall, Ontario
- Date of Original
Width: 14.9 cm
Height: 10.2 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 14.9cm
Image Height: 10.2cm
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.2513273371409 Longitude: -79.0616458716584
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2