Muir Dry Docks
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A photograph of where the Muir Dry Docks used to be situated, Port Dalhousie. c1929.
- File Number: 06/pt1/42-1.3
Port Dalhousie amalgamated with the City of St. Catharines in 1961.
Founded by Scottish immigrant Alexander Muir near lock 1 of the Second Welland Canal in 1850. With his brothers he built ships in Port Dalhousie up until the 1890s and continued to repair ships.
A floating dry dock was first constructed with a permanent dry dock being added in 1867.
Operations experienced hardships when the Forth Welland Canal by-passed Port Dalhousie. The facility was sold to Port Weller Dry Docks in 1953 and closed in 1968.
The dry docks have since been filled in and are now occupied by present day Rennie Park with the old office building becoming Dalhousie House.
- Muirs' old Dry Dock over 100 years old. Pt. Dalhousie. 1929
- Date of Publication
Width: 6.4 cm
Height: 8.8 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 5.4cm
Image Height: 7.8cm
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.2009620462252 Longitude: -79.2668909769821
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2