Souvenir of St. Catharines: First Presbyterian Church
- Media Type
- Item Type
- First Presbyterian Church,Just before 97 Church Street, St. Catharines, Ontario. Souvenir of St. Catharines booklet. 1910.
Published by the Valentine & Sons; United Publishing Co., Ltd.
- File Number: 03/pt1/30-1.1
The church was constructed in 1834 at Church and Clark Streets. In the mid 1870s it had outgrown its space and in 1876 a new church was built on the same site and opened in January of 1878.
In 1925 the Methodists, Congregationalists & two-thirds of the Presbyterians voted to create the United Church. First Presbyterian voted to join the United Church and became First United Church.
In 2003 because of declining membership the church closed and its members moved to Grantham United Church located on Linwell Avenue. There was an attempt to remove the building's historical designation when trying to sell the building. The building was bought in 2009 by the Royal House Redeemed Christian Church of God.
- First Presbyterian Church
- The Valentine & Sons United Publishing Co., Ltd.
- Place of Publication
- Date of Publication
Width: 19.7 cm
Height: 12.9 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 14cm
Image Height: 9.1cm
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1617043851784 Longitude: -79.2455113333119
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2