A Farm House
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A scan of a photograph of a farm house, Ontario. Possibly the DeCew House in Thorold. c1920.
- File Number: 02/pt3/30-1.1
The house in the photograph is possibly the DeCew House located in Thorold. It was the home of John DeCew (De Cou) and headquarters of the British outpost under Lieutenant James Fitzgibbons. It is also where Laura Secord came to warn the British of an impending attack by the Americans during the war of 1812.
The house was sold in 1834 and purchased by David Griffiths whose decedents owned the house until 1942. It was acquired by the Hydro Electric Power Commission of Ontario. The house was destroyed by fire while it was abandoned in 1950.
The foundations have been restored and exist today as a memorial, managed by the City of Thorold.
- Date of Original
Width: 25.3 cm
Height: 20.2 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 24.6cm
Image Height: 19.4cm
- Personal Name(s)
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1871789271312 Longitude: -79.2641084895032
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2