St. George's Anglican Church
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A photograph of St. George’s Anglican Church, 83 Church Street, St. Catharines, Ont. c1964 - 1970
- File Number: 02/pt2/14-1.6
The beginnings of St. Georges was in 1796 with a church building on Yates Street. This building was used as a hospital during the War of 1812. The church was destroyed by fire in 1836.
In 1833 a plot of ground was secured on Academy Street, now known as Church Street. Construction of the nave began in 1835 and the building was opened for services in 1840. The tower was added on and constructed between 1844-1845. The building was expanded and two transepts were added in 1865-66, the chancel was added in 1874 and the sanctuary in 1878. The Parish Hall was constructed in 1912 with additions in 1936 and 1957.
- Front St. George's Church
Width: 8.1 cm
Height: 8.1 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 7.7cm
Image Height: 7.6cm
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1612484920651 Longitude: -79.2459474991228
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2