Welland Avenue and the Methodist Church, St. Catharines
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A postcard of Welland Avenue showing the Methodist Church, St. Catharines,
Published by Valentine & Sons Publishing Co. Ltd. Printed in Great Britain.
- File number: 01/pt1/60-1.1
The Welland Avenue Church began in 1870 when a Methodist congregation was organised. The original church was a small frame building erected on Henry Street in 1871. It was replaced by a larger church in 1876, which was designed by Sidney Rose Bagley. This church was a red brick building with 12 spires, representing the 12 Apostles.
In 1925 the Methodists, Congregationalists and part of the Presbyterian Church joined together to create the United Church, thus the church became Welland Avenue United.
The church closed in 2008 when its congregation merged with St. Paul United and Memorial United Churches to form the Silver Spire Church on St. Paul Street.
- Methodist Church and Welland Avenue. St. Catharines, Ont., Canada
- Valentine & Sons Publishing Co. Ltd.
- Place of Publication
- Great Britain
- Date of Original
Width: 13.7 cm
Height: 8.2 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 13.7cm
Image Height: 8.2cm
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1627040256158 Longitude: -79.2490860840855
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2