- A. H. Tiplin, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The Merritton Tunnel, an abandoned railway tunnel that the Third Welland Canal passed over, St. Catharines, Ontario. Date Unknown.
- File Location: CASE Welland Canal Slides 47
The Merritton Tunnel passed underneath the third Welland Canal between the 18th and 19th locks. It was used as the main line of the Grand Trunk Railway. The rail line through the tunnel was on an incline and as freight loads became more heavy, the underground tunnel was abandoned and a swing bridge was built over the canal.
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1330432588615 Longitude: -79.1814488794384
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2