Locktenders House on the Old Canal
- A. H. Tiplin
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A lock tenders house and bridge along the old canal, Niagara, Ontario. Date Unknown.
- File Location: CASE Welland Canal Slides 3
The area may possibly be Welland Vale around Lock 2 of the Second Welland Canal.
Locktenders opened and closed the lock gates for ships while in lock and opened and closed the valves to control the water levels. The houses were first built after a proposal from the canal's chief engineer in 1846 and would be made of stone or wood.
The bridge in the image was at the foot of the Lock 2 in Welland Vale and replaced circa 1942.
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1594225286654 Longitude: -79.2590213757324
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2