The Protestant Orphan's Home
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The Protestant Orphan's Home at 172 Ontario Street, St. Catharines, Ontario. Date Unknown.
- Slide File Number: 01.17-E-3
The image is taken from the book "St. Catharines: THe Garden City".
The Protestant Orphan's Home opened in 1874 on Ontario Street across from Montebello Park. A larger house was needed and the home moved to Walter Street in 1875. That house did not work for the Orphan's Home and the residents moved back to the first house on Ontario Street.
Thomas Merritt donated land and funds for a permanent home with the provision that 5,000 dollars would be raised for the construction of the house. This was achieved and in November of 1877 a new Orphan's Home opened on Ontario Street, close to Welland Avenue. The building was condemned in 1949 and torn down. It was replaced by a parking lot.
- Protestant Orphans Home
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1599090302353 Longitude: -79.254810307579
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2