Fort George, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- John Hubbell, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A photograph of the Garrison at Fort George, Niagara-on-the-Lake. 1995.
Photographer: John Hubbell.
- File Number: 15/pt2/20-1.3
Fort George was built in 1796 after the British left Fort Niagara in response to Jay's Treaty of 1794. The treaty stated the British had to leave fortifications on American soil. The Fort was destroyed in a bombardment on May 25, 1813 by the Americans during the War of 1812, only the Powder Magazine remained. It was later abandoned by the British when they built Fort Mississauga closer to the mouth of the Niagara River. The Fort was rebuilt in the late 1930s as a make work project during the Great Depression. The Fort is now opened to visitors and maintains the image of a Fort during the early 1800s.
When Fort George was reconstructed in the late 1930s the buildings were not sided. It was discovered that originally there was clapboarding on the blockhouses so the buildings were later sided. This can be seen in the photograph.
- Date of Publication
Width: 15 cm
Height: 10.1 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 15cm
Image Height: 10.1cm
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.2513992580863 Longitude: -79.0619801692145
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2