An Aerial View of Fort George, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A postcard with an aerial view of Fort George, Niagara-on-the-Lake. c1965.
Published by the Peterborough Post Card Co., Ltd. Printed in Peterborough, Ontario.
- File Number: 15/pt2/20-1.1
Fort George was built in 1796 after the British left Fort Niagara in response to Jay's Treaty of 1794. The treaty stated the British had to leave fortifications on American soil. The Fort was destroyed in a bombardment on May 25, 1813 by the Americans during the War of 1812, only the Powder Magazine remained. It was later abandoned by the British when they built Fort Mississauga closer to the mouth of the Niagara River. The Fort was rebuilt in the late 1930s as a make work project during the Great Depression. The Fort is now opened to visitors and maintains the image of a Fort during the early 1800s.
- Historic Fort George
- The Peterborough Post Card Co., Ltd.
- Place of Publication
- Peterborough, Ontario
- Date of Original
Width: 14.9 cm
Height: 10.2 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 14.9cm
Image Height: 9.5cm
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.2509405229927 Longitude: -79.0616190495682
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmailspecial.email@example.comWWW address
Agency street/mail address54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2