Muir's Dry Dock
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A photograph of the Muir's Dry Dock at Port Dalhousie. 1882.
Photograph from the Leeson Collection.
- File Number: 10/pt2/3-1.1
Founded by Scottish immigrant Alexander Muir near lock 1 of the Second Welland Canal in 1850. With his brothers he built ships in Port Dalhousie up until the 1890s and continued to repair ships.
A floating dry dock was first constructed with a permanent dry dock being added in 1867.
Operations experienced hardships when the Forth Welland Canal by-passed Port Dalhousie. The facility was sold to Port Weller Dry Docks in 1953 and closed in 1968.
The dry docks have since been filled in and are now occupied by present day Rennie Park with the old office building becoming Dalhousie House.
- Date of Publication
Width: 23 cm
Height: 16.4 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 22.4cm
Image Height: 15.8cm
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.2004494997333 Longitude: -79.2673871856499
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- St. Catharines Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address54 Church St.
St. Catharines, ON L2R7K2